Blogger Widgets

August 24, 2008

SEIZE THE DAY! CARPE DIEM!

"To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time"

Robert Herrick
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today,
Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry;
For having lost but once your prime,
You may forever tarry.

This reminds me of how short life really is. I often don't seize the moment, and end up regretting it later. In this poem Herrick is telling these girls to marry while they still are young and have the chance. I often wonder if I will ever find the right guy for me. How can I even be sure that there is a perfect guy out there for me? One of my worst fears is that I will end up alone for the rest of my life. I love being around people, so the thought of never getting married or having kids is very depressing. I want to be able to share my life with the man of my dreams: a compassionate, caring individual who understands me and is able to put up with all of my faults.

Why are people in our society so afraid of being alone? In all of the movies and television shows the guy always gets the girl, or vise-versa. Children grow up thinking that they are nobodies if they aren't in a relationship. I had friends who dated guys they didn't even like just so that they had someone. I could never understand that. How can our society as a whole promote codependency? It is perfectly okay to be single, and not dating anybody. We don't have to be connected to someone else to function properly. We can find happiness in solitude as well as companionship! And yet, I still long to be liked. I search for companionship and understanding. I'm perfectly happy single, but I don't want to stay that way for the rest of my life.

I picked this picture because it shows a beautiful bouquet of roses that are slowly dying. This picture helps illustrate the first stanza of Herrick's poem: "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,-Old time is still a-flying;-And this same flower that smiles today-Tomorrow will be dying."

Response by: Rebeka Lien

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/E316K/6/virgin.htm

GUE SETUJU BANGET ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment